Our back garden

Our back garden
The pond

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Interesting Places in Sydney- Part 2 Vaucluse House

Now, I love Vaucluse House. It is steeped in history. You can feel the atmosphere of times past. The first time I visited was when I was a little girl and I was awestruck. I have been back at least 3 times. The unusual features are the entrance into the second floor off the staircase. It is as if a piece of the wall has been cut away to make a doorway.Also on the top floor a bedroom has been made by placing a large wall unit across a hallway as the owners ran out of money. When I was a child I just loved the downstairs toilet. So modern for their time in the early 1800's. They actually flushed but two toilets side by side is not my idea of privacy.Apparently the ghost of one of the daughters still walks the second floor. My husband and I actually saw a wardrobe door open by itself.(It was behind a rope barricade.)
The gardens are the piece de la resistance. I could imagine having tea and scones on the wrap around verandah in my beautiful 19th century dress overlooking the lush lawns on a balmy summers day.

2 comments:

  1. I love Vaucluse house, I haven't been there for so long thanks for the lovely reminder:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and everything decorated 19th. century...great to be there! Thank you for sharing this lovelie pictures.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete